The Home Depot
My responsibility was to explore the problems delivery drivers were having with the existing delivery app. Our team developed a new product to resolve their delivery issues. I also coached the product designer from THD to practice user-centered design so she could move the product forward once we rolled off the engagement.
By replacing the mobile app used by delivery drivers we aimed to:
We observed THD drivers in 5 different states.
We interviewed drivers, dispatchers, customer services reps, and operations managers so we could understand how complex deliveries. We learned about SOPs, internal systems that communicated with each other, etc.
We spent hours driving around with delivery drivers to see the issues they faced with the technology and with the job.
We timed how long it took to status jobs using the old app so that we could have a baseline for improvement with our app.
We evaluated the old app to determine what was making it so difficult to use. We used this information to learn what not to do with our app.
Delivery exception flow.
Prototype map of Hermes.
During prototype tests we uncovered several insights including:
Delivery list and detail page
Delivery exception flow
Clear and direct language for statusing deliveries